Disneyland Secrets & Tips

Here is a list of Disneyland Secrets you can impress your friends with while you are at the park. If you have an iPhone – you can access this list INSIDE of the MouseWait iPhone app – download it for FREE here! Feel free to comment below to add your own secrets – or lets us know if you think these are not true! We are adding to this list daily. PLEASE COMMENT BELOW!

markethouse

• The Plaza Inn is one of the best food deals in Disneyland – their full fried chicken dinner is awesome and it is only $13.49 (that is how much an omelette costs across the street at IHOP if you can believe that). The Cast Members are always super friendly here, it has tons of seating, and the Christmas decorations are awesome. Also, you can get unlimited refills on drinks there (self-serve) and they will even give you to go cups when you are done. We go here all the time and use our Annual Passholder discount – the corn dog cart is next door for the kids!
  • Photopass TIP (Updated Nov 12): Instead of buying individual pictures, buy the CD – they put all of your pictures on one disk for one price (I think it is $59 at this time) – this is a great deal because you can put an UNLIMITED amount of pictures on one disk! The Photopass card is good for 30 days, so if you are an Annual Passholder, you can load as many pictures on there as you want for 30 days, then put them all on one disk for one price! I also heard that if you wait for around 25 days to login to the Photopass site to see your pictures, you get an additional 30 days to load the card up! Great deal and the Disneyland photographers are the best!
  • Nursing mother rooms: Did you know that at the end of Main Street on the right side next to the Little Red Wagon Corn Dog Cart, Disneyland has a nursing mother’s room called the Baby Care center that has a dark quiet room with rocking chairs, a feeding area with high chairs cleaned after every use, a changing room with multiple changing stations that are cleaned and sanitized after every use, and mini potty chairs for toddlers that are sanitized after every use. It is really an amazing setup.
  • Did you know you can get WIFI inside of California Adventure (great for iPod Touch users)? Just sit in one of the inlets across from the Rushin’ River Outfitters and you can get on to the Grand Californian Wifi – it has a very strong signal, I was still connected walking all the way down past the Redwook Creek Challenge Trail. The key is to stay close to the hotel and you should be able to stay online.rushinriver
  • BALLOONS AND SOUVENIRS REPLACED: Also, if you buy a balloon and it pops or is damaged, any vendor will give you a free balloon (they should since they cost $12!) – we do know this is true because they replaced one of our balloons less than a month ago. Also, they usually will replace any souvenir that breaks – my son has broken many pirate swords while we were at the park. We just take the broken one in and they always replace it for us.
  • There is a Magic Lamp in a store across from the Jungle Cruise – for a buck you can rub the lamp and hear funny jokes
  • The Goofy Water in Toon Town (at the gas station) turns colors at night.
  • The Matterhorn basketball court:  Some say that in an effort to pass a city ordinance, Disney had to install a full court basketball court inside Matterhorn mountain so it qualified as a sports facility.  Some even say it was certified as an official Olympic Stadium in 1984. According to Snopes, this is not true. They say there is only a small attic-like space near the top of the Matterhorn that does contain a half court complete with a hoop. This area is used as a rest area for costumed climbers. Check out the video proof of the Matterhorn Basketball court here
  • Call Disneyland and get a live person: Did you know that you can call and get a live person at this number 714-781-4565
  • Main Street is supposed to be set in 1910 and Tomorrowland is set for 1986. These years were picked because they were the years of Hailey’s Comet
  • Prior to opening day, Walt visited a few of the local churches and invited a handful of the best behaved children from the Sunday School classes to attend the opening day festivities (source HiddenMickeys.org)
  • Did you know you can ride in the front car of the monorail if you ask?
  • Did you know you can ride in the front of the Disneyland train with the conductor too? (tip thanks to MickeyFan below)
  • CAT HOUSES: Reportedly there are cat houses in Disneyland, one is behind the Hungry Bear restaurant and you can see them if you look to the right while on the train.
  • Disneyland vendors will replace broken spray bottles, broken swords, pretty much anything you buy there, if it breaks, they will give you a new one.
  • Everyone knows that Walt Disney had an apartment located above the Fire Station next to City Hall. The light in that apartment is always left on to remind everyone he is always there with him. However, this light is turned off when his daughters are in the park, out of respect for their loss. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Club 33 has been a part of New Orleans Square since 1967, it is the only place where alcohol is served and it supposedly has a 5 year waiting list for memberships. Membership fees range from $9500 to $25000 with annual fees of $3000+!
  • The organ that was in 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is presently located in the ballroom of the Haunted Mansion
  • Johnny Depp frequently stays at the Grand Californian Hotel, some say here is there once every two months with his family.
  • Smellitzers on Main Street: Candy Palace & Candy Kitchen – Main Street USA: A photo of the Candy Kitchen Cast Members hard at work. Under the window is a vent that sends the wonderful candy aromas out onto Main Street. Note: Invented at Walt Disney World by Imagineer Bob McCarthy, the Smellitzer, is akin to the famed artillery howitzer - used to launch smells instead of shells. (Courtesy of FindingMickey.com)
  • Tarzan’s Treehouse: Take a good look around the kitchen area underneath Tarzan’s Treehouse. Mrs. Potts and Chip, from Beauty & the Beast, can be sitting on top of a wooden crate. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark Mercedes Truck: Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye: An interesting Disney detail is parked outside of the Indiana Jones attraction. The olive green truck appears to be the one from the famous Raiders of the Lost Ark chase scene, in which Indy chases after the Nazi convoy transporting the Ark of the Covenant. The truck’s body type, license plate and missing hood ornament, match features from the vehicle used in the famous Raiders of the Lost Ark stunt sequence. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Go to Toon Town right when the park opens, it isn’t as busy then.
  • Eeyore Parking Sign in the Indiana Jones Ride: An old Eeyore parking sign is hidden up in the rafters high above the projection room (in the queue). The sign pays homage to the Eeyore Parking Lot, which gave way to the current Indiana Jones attraction. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Forced Perspective: Disneyland is famous for using a photographic illusion called “forced perspective”. This gives the buildings on Main Street the illusion of height. The second story windows, signs, and accessories of the buildings on Main Street are smaller than the first level. Also the buildings angle slightly inward which creates the illusion that the Castle is much farther than it actually is. When you leave Disneyland the reverse effect happens – it doesn’t look that far away so you tend to want to walk slower and visit the shops. The Matterhorn is also designed using forced perspective – larger trees are placed toward the bottom, but as you go up, the trees get smaller. Disney used two foot pinion trees at the treeline of the Matterhorn to make it look bigger than it actually is (it is only 147 feet).
  • Lines are usually shorter at dinner time when people are eating.
  • Start from Adventureland and go clockwise: This saves time because you are not criss-crossing throughout the park and most people seem to go counterclock-wise starting with Tomorrowland. (Source: DisneylandVacationTips.com)
  • The Matterhorn line that wraps around the Tomorrowland side is usually shorter. Also the left track is a faster ride than the right.

This is a cool Disney Secrets tour of Frontierland:

We are adding more daily so check back!

Get the most amazing Disneyland iPhone app – MouseWait shows Disneyland Wait Times like no other app!

377 Comments

1. We love this app. Cool stuff we didn’t know.

2. Ok I am amazed at how all the tip sites miss this. Anywhere that sells fountain drinks will give FREE cups of water if you ask. California law requires this and the water is filtered, just as it is for the lemonaide or fruit punch. This only works where non souvineer cups of soft drinks are sold.

3. This is kind of obvious but a real time saver; if you are traveling with a group of two or more people and you don’t mind getting seperated from your group, most rides in DCA and some rides in DL have single rider lines, and they move faster than fast pass lines, because they want to fill up all empty cars. And most of the time you will end up with at least a second person in your party.

• Which rides are they? I’ve been many times, and have never seen single rider lines. I’ve seen cast members ask for and bring people to the front, but never an actual line

• I believe single riders can go through the exit.

• I know California Screaming and Indiana Jones have a single rider entrance. You have to walk up to the castmember at the entrance and ask for a single rider slip. Then you take it through the exit of the ride.

• Most rides DON do it, actually. Only splash mountain, indiana jones, soarin over california, and california screamin do it. Everything else, you just have to wait.

• I think the new Goofys Flight school has a single rider line.

• Actually the new

• Just ask a cast member at the front of the line they’ll direct you :)

• Pretty sure the point of Disney is family fun and being together, nOt the thrill of rides and how many you can do.

• Getting more rides does kinda relax the pressure and allow for more memories to be made enjoying the park instead of lines though. Just sayin :)

4. There is a pair of restrooms located at the top of the stairs inside the wait area for the Enchanted Tiki Room. They are seldom occupied, almost always clean and conviently located. Great secret for people with small children.

• It has a restroom because it was orriginally supposed to be a restaurant with a show. Also, if you ask the cast member working there, you can “wake up” Josè.

5. Great tips but also on the Indiana Jones ride the room past the projecter room on the desk to the right is a magizene spilt in half with Mickey and Minnie on it but you have to go under the railing and peek past the gating to see it

6. I love bringin my family to Disneyland and we usually have season passes even though we live in Az. Lately we have avoided coming due to the lack of quality and the excessive prices of food. We do try to bring in meals and snacks but to bring in more than one meal for a family of 4 isn’t very easy. If this decline continues we will not renew out passes again.

• You can bring your personal food in. I’ve brought in a whole picnic before. Also an ap holder

• We bring in food and snacks all the time, we even bring in an ice chest filled with soda, this is allowed as long as its in cans or plastic bottles. No glass bottles allowed. With 2 kids you gotta find ways to save….. Lol

• There is a great litte buffet across the street from the entrance. It’s small but GOOD food and pretty cheap.

• I so agree I just found out that embroidery on hats is not free any more. They charge an outrages $3.00 for name $5 for special design . When did Disneyland start getting do greety

7. Bizarre. I’ve never met a person who dislikes the food in Disneyland haha

8. If you fall in the water or lose a shoe or lose whatever if they see that your wet or saw what happened (even if you didn’t buy the stuff their) they will give you a voucher for a replace mention for that thing from any one of there stores

• I lost my hat in the lake while on screamn’ … And a cast member fished it out for me…

• My grandma lost her hat on a ride and they gave her a free one after trying to retrieve her hat and failing.

9. Great tips!!!!!! I enjoyed all of them. Great tip huntin!

10. Don’t wanna burst any bubbles but, Not true about the light being on in Walts apartment. Does make for a good story though. However, if the garage door is closed at the fire station that would mean a member of Walts family is in the park

• Sorry but it is true. They even mention it at Disneyland. But I will verify the garage door thing next time.

• The “light” in the apartment makes reference to the lamp in the window above the fire house.

• No way!!! The light is soo on!! And when a family member is in the park, they turn it off. Other than that, nothing has been changed up there

• As a former cast member I can say that the light is on all the time EXCEPT when his family is in the park. The light is always on so that guests and cast members know that he is in the park watching over it just as when he was alive.

• You are an idiot, the light thing is most definitely true, what holds no truth is your story about the fire dept door, I have heard this from many cast members one being a family member

11. I heard waltz favorite animals are mouses why would he be afraid of them?

12. To replace a lost balloon you have to go to guest services on main street first. Make sure you keep your receipt.

13. About the cats, we’ve seen cats for years. Finally we asked a guard at CA adventure. Walt introduced cats to the Park to help keep the rodent populations down. There are cat houses all over the park. They are reported to be very well cared for. Early one morning we saw a mother cat with 5 babies crossed our path in Ca Adventure.

14. the skeletons in pirates of the caribbean ride are real skeletons bought from UCLA Medical Center

• No the skeletons used to be real but now they are fake

• The one above the bed in the captains quarters is still real!

15. Love all the tips and the secrets Disneyland and Ca Adventure holds!! The more you go to this wonderful place the more you observe and know. If it’s your first time there believe me you miss out alot. Great app by the way.

16. Secret: on Winnie the pooh adventure ride, if you look up right after the honey room, the moose, buffalo, and deer from the old country bears ride are hanging on the back wall. Look up and back and you will see.

17. If you stay at The Grand California Hotel you can gain early entry into California Adventure to ride Soaring! A cast member will greet you at the hotel entrance into the park one hour before it opens and walk you over. Just make sure to have your ticket and hotel key as proof you are staying at the hotel. My family and I have done it many times.

• Confirmed this today:-)

18. Don Tomas has a smoke turkey leg for $8, include tax, that’s a 2 lb juicy turkey leg, one if the best deal inside Disneyland, if you don’t mind walking outside of Disneyland for lunch or dinner, the Captain Kidds Buffet across the street from tge entrance on S Harber Blvd has buffet for 8.89 per person, kids 4.89, dinner is $1 more, best deal you can find.

• Captain kids was overpriced and the food was disgusting and of questionable freshness. Keep on walking down to mimis cafe. Now that’s quality food and awesome service

• My family and I loved this place

19. Would be nice if disney had wifi throughout the parks!

20. The frontierland entrance(fort) is built out of real logs

21. When Disney’s Electrical Parade returns from Florida it will once again, finally, be back on Main Street in Disneyland! I heard this from a Disney Imagineer!
    -Disney Cast Member

22. I’m a student on a budget. So, I’ve learned that the minimize spending it’s smart to pack at least one meal a day in an ice chest. I put it in the trunk of the car. when it gets busy take the tram to the car for an early meal. You’ll be able to sit for a bit and get away from the crowd. Then u can be back and on the rides when everyone else is off eating!

• You can also rent a locker in the picnic area and place your ice chest in it. Then when lunch time rolls around you don’t have to go all the way to your car to eat!

23. Cool tips I’ll see you next time in Disneyland

24. If you are a first timer…head to CityHall and tell them it’s your first time. They used to give pins.

• They still do. They have pins for just bout everything

• I would love a pic! Walt Disney World Cast Member

25. Mattahorn basketball court, is true. If you give me an email address I can send you a actual picture of the court. I was a cast member for 10 years.

• I would love a pic. Thanks.

• Plz send me pics of the basketball court atop the Matterhorn! that’s so cool! My email is: dacappa@aol.com

• Send me a picture please!!!

• Sweet!! my brother joseph works there. He is a toy soldier. Could I have a picture of the court?

• Love to see the pic. Thx sooooo much. I go once a year and love odd and interesting facts about the park

• Please send us a pic!!

• Can you send me the pic of the basketball court? Thanks

• If you are still able to do it I would love to have a picture of the basketball court thank you

• My email is scottiej009@Mac.com. What is the real story of why they built the court? I would love to see it!

• The reason the bball court is there is because at the time of construction there was no such thing as a permit to build a mountain in anaheim so they added the court and got a permit to build a gym. I am a cast member and they tell us this at our orientation during the tour of the park.

• Can I het a pic of the basketball court? Thanks

• Can you send me the picture of the basketball court in the matterhorn

• Awesome! Can you please send me a pic? I have been in the Matterhorn mountain once (after our bobsled slid off the track) in 2001- but where we were at we couldn’t see the hoop. Thanks! Tara dtahackett@yahoo.com

• What happened were people hurt?

• i would like a picture of the basketball court please!

• Please send me a pic of the basket ball court!

• Would love a pic of the matterhorn bball court… Thanks

• Plz I would really like to see it I heard about this a few years ago.

• Plz send basketball pics to jcdemarco1@aol.com, I appreciate, my family and I are disney freaks.

26. Send me pic please

27. Great information! Fun to read!

28. Great app. Helps out a lot to best the crowd

29. theres a hidden mickey in piratesmof the caribbean. in the room with the skeleton in bed with the magnifying glass, the background behind her is made up of little mickeys. there is another in that same room, its on the back of a chair.

30. Please send pic yellow_fo_us2000@yahoo.com

Ever notice the clock over Ur head when you walk thru the castle in Fantasyland. Right above the old marking of the dead center of Dland. The time is set to the time when Walt passed away.

• The story of the clock in the castle is not true. If you look close its not even a real clock. The hands are bolted in place, welded into a v shape and are moved from time to time. I assume during cleaning. Walt died at 9:30 am.

31. Downtown Disney ( in-between the parks ) has really good food and some awesome shops

32. Ever notice the clock lamp when you walk through the castle from main street to fantasyland. They say it is set to the time Walt passed.

33. Love the app . Its helped me a lot too. Recomending it. Showing it to family and friends next week were going to disney land! The bussyest

34. disneyland secret: there is a gold coin sized dot on the floor as you exit sleeping beauty’s castle which is the exact center of disneyland:) so cooool!

• That spot was the center of Disneyland on opening day since there has been expansions it is no longer the center of Disneyland

• The coin on the floor is actually a golden spike it was the first thing to start the construction of Disneyland and yes it marks the center of Disneyland

35. SuppOsively Disneyland is being worked on 24/7 workers repaint objects in the park everynight

36. In Winnie the Pooh at DL, just after the heffalumps and woozles room, look up and behind you on the wall and you can see three of the characters from Country Bear Jamboree. You can’t see from the back seat though.

37. Please send me pic of matterhorn. Shellerd08@aol.com
    Thank you!!!

38. Indiana Jones also has another eeyore parking lot sign. As you move through one of the three doors look back and at the ceiling the sign is in one of the spaces.

39. NOS-the “ticking” you hear coming from the train station is Morse code of Walt’s opening day speech.

40. The water for rivers of America also flows through Thunder mountain. The waterfall near big thunder ranch is where the dye is added to get the color for the rivers of America. Splash mountain has It’s own water system.

41. Send me a pic of the basketball inside the Matterhorn.
    Elie_pie@yahoo.com

42. If you pull the bamboo pole in the spear room in Indiana Jones Adventure, the ceiling lowers

43. I would love to have a pic of the b- ball court too.

44. New in 2011. As of Jan 1, 2011, the Market House now gives Annual Pass holders their discount for the Free Coffee Refill deal. There used to be a $10.00 minimum, but now the AP discount applies to any purchases including just a single coffee. This is one of the best deals in the park!

45. i love you mousewait im a huge fan of you guys

46. Please send pic of the court please.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Pin It on Pinterest