Disneyland Secrets & Tips

Here is a list of Disneyland Secrets you can impress your friends with while you are at the park. If you have an iPhone – you can access this list INSIDE of the MouseWait iPhone app – download it for FREE here! Feel free to comment below to add your own secrets – or lets us know if you think these are not true! We are adding to this list daily. PLEASE COMMENT BELOW!

markethouse

• The Plaza Inn is one of the best food deals in Disneyland – their full fried chicken dinner is awesome and it is only $13.49 (that is how much an omelette costs across the street at IHOP if you can believe that). The Cast Members are always super friendly here, it has tons of seating, and the Christmas decorations are awesome. Also, you can get unlimited refills on drinks there (self-serve) and they will even give you to go cups when you are done. We go here all the time and use our Annual Passholder discount – the corn dog cart is next door for the kids!
  • Photopass TIP (Updated Nov 12): Instead of buying individual pictures, buy the CD – they put all of your pictures on one disk for one price (I think it is $59 at this time) – this is a great deal because you can put an UNLIMITED amount of pictures on one disk! The Photopass card is good for 30 days, so if you are an Annual Passholder, you can load as many pictures on there as you want for 30 days, then put them all on one disk for one price! I also heard that if you wait for around 25 days to login to the Photopass site to see your pictures, you get an additional 30 days to load the card up! Great deal and the Disneyland photographers are the best!
  • Nursing mother rooms: Did you know that at the end of Main Street on the right side next to the Little Red Wagon Corn Dog Cart, Disneyland has a nursing mother’s room called the Baby Care center that has a dark quiet room with rocking chairs, a feeding area with high chairs cleaned after every use, a changing room with multiple changing stations that are cleaned and sanitized after every use, and mini potty chairs for toddlers that are sanitized after every use. It is really an amazing setup.
  • Did you know you can get WIFI inside of California Adventure (great for iPod Touch users)? Just sit in one of the inlets across from the Rushin’ River Outfitters and you can get on to the Grand Californian Wifi – it has a very strong signal, I was still connected walking all the way down past the Redwook Creek Challenge Trail. The key is to stay close to the hotel and you should be able to stay online.rushinriver
  • BALLOONS AND SOUVENIRS REPLACED: Also, if you buy a balloon and it pops or is damaged, any vendor will give you a free balloon (they should since they cost $12!) – we do know this is true because they replaced one of our balloons less than a month ago. Also, they usually will replace any souvenir that breaks – my son has broken many pirate swords while we were at the park. We just take the broken one in and they always replace it for us.
  • There is a Magic Lamp in a store across from the Jungle Cruise – for a buck you can rub the lamp and hear funny jokes
  • The Goofy Water in Toon Town (at the gas station) turns colors at night.
  • The Matterhorn basketball court:  Some say that in an effort to pass a city ordinance, Disney had to install a full court basketball court inside Matterhorn mountain so it qualified as a sports facility.  Some even say it was certified as an official Olympic Stadium in 1984. According to Snopes, this is not true. They say there is only a small attic-like space near the top of the Matterhorn that does contain a half court complete with a hoop. This area is used as a rest area for costumed climbers. Check out the video proof of the Matterhorn Basketball court here
  • Call Disneyland and get a live person: Did you know that you can call and get a live person at this number 714-781-4565
  • Main Street is supposed to be set in 1910 and Tomorrowland is set for 1986. These years were picked because they were the years of Hailey’s Comet
  • Prior to opening day, Walt visited a few of the local churches and invited a handful of the best behaved children from the Sunday School classes to attend the opening day festivities (source HiddenMickeys.org)
  • Did you know you can ride in the front car of the monorail if you ask?
  • Did you know you can ride in the front of the Disneyland train with the conductor too? (tip thanks to MickeyFan below)
  • CAT HOUSES: Reportedly there are cat houses in Disneyland, one is behind the Hungry Bear restaurant and you can see them if you look to the right while on the train.
  • Disneyland vendors will replace broken spray bottles, broken swords, pretty much anything you buy there, if it breaks, they will give you a new one.
  • Everyone knows that Walt Disney had an apartment located above the Fire Station next to City Hall. The light in that apartment is always left on to remind everyone he is always there with him. However, this light is turned off when his daughters are in the park, out of respect for their loss. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Club 33 has been a part of New Orleans Square since 1967, it is the only place where alcohol is served and it supposedly has a 5 year waiting list for memberships. Membership fees range from $9500 to $25000 with annual fees of $3000+!
  • The organ that was in 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is presently located in the ballroom of the Haunted Mansion
  • Johnny Depp frequently stays at the Grand Californian Hotel, some say here is there once every two months with his family.
  • Smellitzers on Main Street: Candy Palace & Candy Kitchen – Main Street USA: A photo of the Candy Kitchen Cast Members hard at work. Under the window is a vent that sends the wonderful candy aromas out onto Main Street. Note: Invented at Walt Disney World by Imagineer Bob McCarthy, the Smellitzer, is akin to the famed artillery howitzer - used to launch smells instead of shells. (Courtesy of FindingMickey.com)
  • Tarzan’s Treehouse: Take a good look around the kitchen area underneath Tarzan’s Treehouse. Mrs. Potts and Chip, from Beauty & the Beast, can be sitting on top of a wooden crate. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Raiders of the Lost Ark Mercedes Truck: Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye: An interesting Disney detail is parked outside of the Indiana Jones attraction. The olive green truck appears to be the one from the famous Raiders of the Lost Ark chase scene, in which Indy chases after the Nazi convoy transporting the Ark of the Covenant. The truck’s body type, license plate and missing hood ornament, match features from the vehicle used in the famous Raiders of the Lost Ark stunt sequence. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Go to Toon Town right when the park opens, it isn’t as busy then.
  • Eeyore Parking Sign in the Indiana Jones Ride: An old Eeyore parking sign is hidden up in the rafters high above the projection room (in the queue). The sign pays homage to the Eeyore Parking Lot, which gave way to the current Indiana Jones attraction. (Source: FindingMickey.com)
  • Forced Perspective: Disneyland is famous for using a photographic illusion called “forced perspective”. This gives the buildings on Main Street the illusion of height. The second story windows, signs, and accessories of the buildings on Main Street are smaller than the first level. Also the buildings angle slightly inward which creates the illusion that the Castle is much farther than it actually is. When you leave Disneyland the reverse effect happens – it doesn’t look that far away so you tend to want to walk slower and visit the shops. The Matterhorn is also designed using forced perspective – larger trees are placed toward the bottom, but as you go up, the trees get smaller. Disney used two foot pinion trees at the treeline of the Matterhorn to make it look bigger than it actually is (it is only 147 feet).
  • Lines are usually shorter at dinner time when people are eating.
  • Start from Adventureland and go clockwise: This saves time because you are not criss-crossing throughout the park and most people seem to go counterclock-wise starting with Tomorrowland. (Source: DisneylandVacationTips.com)
  • The Matterhorn line that wraps around the Tomorrowland side is usually shorter. Also the left track is a faster ride than the right.

This is a cool Disney Secrets tour of Frontierland:

We are adding more daily so check back!

Get the most amazing Disneyland iPhone app – MouseWait shows Disneyland Wait Times like no other app!

377 Comments

1. Actually that’s disneyworld that has the tunnels. DL doesn’t, that’s why you see cast members from different worlds walking through the park. Walt hated that because it Ruined the illusion when you’re in frontierland and someone from tomorrowland walks through. So he wanted DW to have tunnels

• There ARE under ground tunnels at Disneyland. That’s how most of the celebrities get around its really hot and muggy down there though. A friend of mine worked there. She hated going down there alone it’s hot and creepy

• Not true I was a cast member no tunnels

• They have them at Disneyland. I worked there. They actually take longer to use than walking through the park that’s why you see cast members walking through the park

2. The Disneyland train has a presidential car called the Lilly Belle after Walt Disney wife. If you get to the train station early in the morning at main street you can ask them to put your name on a list so you can a ride on it. You will have to take a full ride around the park and you can sign and date the log book. Ride last about 20 minutes. This is very cool and not very many people know about this.

3. I’m wondering why the people mover shut down? I’m also wondering if they will ever reopen it? I thought it was a good way to see Disneyland, and also give you a chance to show the kids the different areas of the park. Walt Disney World still has theirs

4. There are supposed to be hidden mickey mouse ears every where in the parks.

5. Hidden mickey: in the bushes to the left of the its a small world ride;Bush closest to the ride

6. Hidden Mickey that I found in the haunted mansion that’s not in the books… After the dancing hall, shooting picture scene… There is a clock. Underneath the clock hands there is Mickey!!!!

7. On Indiana jones while on the ride, when the boulder coming at you, the car doesnt actually back up. If you turn around you’ll see the walls are actually the ones moving back.

8. Did you know that within the winnie the pooh attraction, some of the pevious occupants are still inside? After the room in which it shows the hefalumps and makes you dizzy look up and behind you.

9. Your site is really useful. I found from yahoo. I’ll back sooner or later. Many thanks I already save your blog.

10. The oldest tree on the disneyland resort property is located at the mickey and friends parking structure where the trams make a big u-turn.

11. Did you know the skull on the headboard in pirates is real?

12. As I site possessor I believe the content material here is rattling excellent , appreciate it for your efforts. You should keep it up forever! Good Luck.

13. Ava:

actully disney land has underground tunnels too with break rooms for cast members but its not like a city or anything and it is where they store the garbage cans and stuff it has pipes and smells like trash so its not that exciting but its still there

14. My dad was allowed in club 33 without being on the wait list!

• It happens occasionally. I will be dining there tomorrow but unfortunately am not a member. Still excited though. :)

• Maybe your dad knew someone within the club…

• Mine too but I went with him

• Sure. Yeah right.

• How’d that happen? I really really wana eat there

• I’ve eaten there before but I have a relative who is a club member through the company he works for.

• How did he manage that?

• You can go into Club 33 as guess of a member of Club 33. But to become a member you r put on a waiting list. I also went to Club 33, but I was a guess of a member.

• I have went to Disneyland 8 times and I’m 9!

15. My 3 year old has been waiting forever to go on Star Tours! Well one day I measured him at home and he was 40″ tall….so we dropped of his sister at school and what a treat, we went to Disneyland just us two! Well sure enough he did not measure up I was so bummed. Our day was made better by a man at Big Thunder Mountain…he gave us fast pass specific to te ride for upto 6 people when my son is tall enough. He told to go around to all of the rides with a height requirement!

• That is awesome! How did you get him to do that?

• My 7 year old sister was in yhe halloween parade with the muppets on there float. She said it was awesome all you need to do is find

• The people who are in charge of it fill out some paper work then boom your in a parade.

• Aww that’s cool! Oh have you riden the tower of terror?

16. Oops I left my comment in wrong area. Check out hidden Micky comments for my fun facts!

17. Disneyland is the best place in the whole entire world !!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Did you know there is a golden center piece that shows the middle of the park when you go through the bridge in the castle

• Ya, it marks the geographical center of disneyland :D

• Except that isn’t the middle of the park anymore since ToonTown is now there

• Sorry Tony this is not the center of the park and never has been. The gold spike is just a survey marker that marks the dead center of main street. There are actually severial markers all over the park.

19. When on Winne the Pooh turn around just before pooh wakes up from his dream to see up in the rafters the old heads from country bear jamboree. You need to be sitting in the front row of the car.

20. My parents go to club 33 and they say its awesome!:)

• Where’s cub at 04???

• Is there anyway for me and my gf to get a reservation at club 33 im Planning on asking her to marry me but it would be nice if its in club 33.

21. I’ve eaten there once, and wil next month.

22. There are hidden mickeys around disneyland park . I spotted two on pirates of the carribean and one on the haunted mainson keep a look out for more good luck and have fun

• 2 things: some of my schoolmates and kind of my friends have this really sneaky technique to getting to Club 33 without a reservation; they’ll dress up in formal clothing, each pay someone going in $100 to let them go in instead and tag along with that persons group. XD

• And number 2, my real friends and I always look around for those. We’ve found 6 or so so far. Very fun. : )

• There is book u can purchase for $10on main st

• What kind of book?

23. Just tried to get a refill for the coffee.. Doesn’t work

• Coffee refill works fine used it today several times

• It works every time I go. Do you keep and show the reciept and go to the market house and no where else? Did you order plain coffee and not a specialty drink?

• I love disneyland did u know that I was in a parad

24. If you ask to steer the Mark Twain boat, you get a little souvenir certificate saying you did so. (:

• That’s how I met my 1st love. He was the “Captain” and he let my best friend and I “drive” ;)

25. At Redd Rocketts Pizza Port you can buy a drink and keep the reciept and go back later get another drink of the same size for free with your reciept! This can only be done one time per drink purchase but a great money saver!

• Awesome!!! Thanks so much for your tip! Will do that in September at Didneyland!

26. I busted my colostomy bag on Indiana Jones. They let everyone in our car shower in Walt’s apartment.

27. My sister used to work at disneyland and she
    got to go up in the matterhorn basketball court and play a few matches

• It’s not up it down lol

• That Is really cool!

28. Upside-down, on cali screamin, is a mickey

29. Fastpass is now good only for times printed on it.

• Nope, I was just their on Sunday and whilst eating inner we missed the return time for space mountain, we want back to it just in case about 30 mins after our time and the cast member told me it was valid until midnight.

30. I love these secrets and this app! There must be more…

31. So the coffee refill works I tried ot yesterday soooo happy about this :)

32. Last week we bought aautograph book and the pen we got with it stunk :P when the characters had to shake it to get the ink out I decided see if they would replace ut for me if it works with their other merchandise the lady wasnt sure ahe called someone and I got a working pen :)

33. The sorward in the stone next to the carrousel comes out 2 times a day for two lucky ppl!

• I saw the sword come out of the stone 3 times in 20 minutes.

34. Is it true that theres a pet cemetary located near Haunted mansion? I heard if you ask a Haunted Manaion CM they will show you to it.

• Yes it is! I’ve seen it!

• You see it in line, they’re cast members and imaginers pets.

• if you’re facing the haunted mansion, there’s a pet cemetery to the right that’s not part of the cue line. you can barely see it.

35. If u touch the wall with the tombstone drawing on the tower of terror it makes like zombie noises

36. There is a hidden Mickey in buzz lightyear astro blansters. It is a scrabble piece. And if you look around on the ride there are several game piece around.

37. In the Pooh ride, just after you leave the heffalump and woozel room, turn around. You will see the mounted heads if the talking animals from Bear Country Jamboree mounted on the back wall!

38. On the tower of terror fast pass area u can get free fast passes from a cabinet u have to open

• Thats ment for cast use only lol not a secret more of a breaking and enteringand using there printer lol

39. I once watched the turkey leg guy drop a turkey leg and i got it for free…..it landed on the wrapper…..seriously

40. My best friend and I went for my 11 birthday and we’re going again for my 13. We found a few! Try the bread bowls at the restaurant outside of pirates. They’re the best!

41. I have a kiddo with autism. I found out in my autism parent group you can go to guest services and they will give you a special pass where you can wait in a quieter more low key area for a ride instead of trying to have them wait in line. It was a life saver!

• I have a kiddo with Autism too and this is a blessing but some shady individuals are getting passes by saying their children can’t wait in long lines and Disneyland doesn’t question them as to what disability their children has. Shame on Disneyland for giving GAC to people who don’t need them.

• It’s not Disneyland’s fault for believing them. It’s the shady individuals who lie. Disneyland would be in a lot of trouble if they started turning people down…

42. There is a “phantom” 3rd ship in New Orleans Square. Go to the petrified tree and face towards the buildings towards pirates of the carribiean and look above the rooftops and you will see the sails.

43. When you go up to a souvenir penny presser,hoping to get a pressed penny, but realize you don’t have a penny,you can put a dime in the penny slot and it will work just the same,except it will come out silver,not copper.

44. If you touch the apple at the entrance of the Snow white ride the witch laughs.

45. Yes you can if your timing is right you can ride on the tender of Engine 1 and 2. However you won’t be with a Conductor. It’s the Engineer and Fireman you will be riding with.

46. If you go to California ‘Screamin and are afraid of heights, just kick your feet up and down left and right at the bottom of the seat. It helped me sooo much!! Now I ride that ride like 5 times whenever I go to California adventures!!!!! :)

47. On Winnie the Pooh, after you have ridden it and if u want to ride it again, if you ask a cast member if u can ride it without having to wait in line again, 99% of the time they will let u. Could be true on other rides but I haven’t tried it. :)

48. Request a ‘death certificate’ to a CM on the Haunted Mansion and one will be produced by the end of the ride!

• They say they don’t do that anymore . :( just tried today !

49. There is a hidden jockey in the haunted mansion it can be found in the flying saucers and forms a mickey

50. 1958 ticket book they use four letters and The d ticket was for the rainbow ridge pack mules

• I remember that. You could also go in and not pay if you weren’t going to ride because the rides all needed tickets

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

What is 13 + 5 ?
Please leave these two fields as-is:

Pin It on Pinterest